Holiday Safety Tips
Holiday Safety Tips from Protection 1
At Protection 1, we believe the holiday season should be one of joy. Whether you're staying home or traveling this year, here are a few holiday safety tips to keep your family and home protected during the holiday season:
- Secure all windows, including those upstairs, and reduce the chance of easy entry by cutting tree limbs away from second-story windows.
- Have a neighbor remove all snow from walkways and driveways while you’re away. If this is not possible, have a friend put tire tracks in your driveway to make it appear that someone is there.
- Have a friend move your car occasionally if it is parked in the driveway.
- Make sure to keep big-ticket items, such as new LCD TVs or other large gifts away from windows.
- Keep the heat set at 55 degrees or higher to ensure your pipes don’t freeze and cause flooding.
- Do not leave public messages on Facebook, Twitter, MySpace or any other social media site letting people know that you will be out of town.
- Make sure to have all mail, newspapers and deliveries stopped or picked up by a neighbor, friend or relative.
- Use timers to operate lights including holiday lights.
- If you have a real Christmas tree, make sure to dispose of it before you travel; never use indoor holiday lights while out of town.
- Take care when disposing of product packaging so that you aren’t “advertising” recent, high-dollar purchases or gifts.