Summer Safety Tips
On the go? Protect your home and family this summer season.
Each year, there are more than 2.15 million burglaries, over 65 percent of which are residential break-ins, with the majority occurring in the peak vacation months of July and August according to a July 2007 Insurance Information Institute (III) report. Further, the report states that 9 out of 10 home break-ins could be prevented if homeowners would take simple steps to burglarproof their homes.
- Stop delivery of your mail and newspapers—or have a friend or neighbor pick them up for you.
- Keep bushes and shrubs well-trimmed. Use timers on lights, televisions and radios to provide sound and lights the inside of your home.
- Keep the outside of your home well lit. Would-be thieves prefer not to be seen.
- Have your lawn maintained if you will be gone for more than a few days.
- Leave the air conditioner on. A silent compressor on a hot day is a good indication you aren’t home.
- Unplug everything but the refrigerator, freezer, and the lights and radios you have set on timers.
- Where possible, turn off the water to your sinks, toilets, dishwasher, washing machine and hot water heater.