Memorial Day Safety Tips
The last thing vacationers want to worry about is their homes being burglarized as they head out for their Memorial Day weekend. Plus, many of us will be firing up our grills for cookouts and get-togethers.
Protection 1, the nation’s premier full service security provider, offers the following tips to ensure the safety of your family and home during the holiday weekend and throughout the summer.
- Secure all windows, including those upstairs and reduce the chance of easy entry by cutting tree limbs away from second-story windows.
- Remove objects that might allow access to your home, such as ladders or trash cans that could be used to enter a window or scale a fence.
- Do not leave Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus or other social media posts letting people know that you will be out of town.
- Turn your telephone ringer down, so no one outside can hear repeated rings, and review your answering machine message to make sure it does not imply you are away; also, use timers to operate lights.
- Make sure to have all mail, newspapers and deliveries stopped or picked up by a neighbor, friend or relative.
- Position the grill at least two feet away from decks, siding and any outdoor equipment that can catch fire quickly such as pool toys and playground sets. Additionally, trim low-hanging branches away from your grilling location.
- Always keep a portable fire extinguisher nearby. Read the instructions in advance as there will not be time do so in the event of an emergency.
- Consider having a professionally monitored security system installed that will dispatch the authorities in the event of a break-in. Web-based security systems can even send vacationers email and text-message alerts of security events on their smart phones or laptops, and allow you to check in through video cameras. Also, have a system that includes a 24-hour fire monitoring service that automatically dispatches the fire department if a smoke alarm is triggered.